Nelson CARES Society
Nelson CARES Society is a client centered service charitable organization. Operating since 1974 we are accredited through CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities).
Through community collaboration and service excellence, Nelson CARES Society works toward a socially just society by providing programs and initiatives in advocacy, housing, employment, support services, and environmental stewardship.
Nelson CARES Society aims to be a reflection of the community it envisions.
A healthy and inclusive community where complete respect for all individuals is an ordinary, everyday occurrence.
Values that guide our work:
Equality, respect, collaboration, diversity, transparency, accountability, integrity
What Nelson CARES Society stands for:
- Community-based programs that ensure quality of life in Nelson
- Advocacy for victims of crime, people living in poverty, people with disabilities, and those in conflict with social systems is vital. The Advocacy Centre provides legal information, education and advocacy.
- Residential services for people experiencing barriers, including poverty and/or disability – we offer 144 units of affordable housing and 17 short-term emergency beds with staff to assists residents with immediate crises. Services for Community Living provides residential support services to individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Employment options include opportunities for individuals with disabilities as a way to contribute to their community and the economy.
- Services such as ours continue to enrich life in our community.