Stepping Stones is the only emergency shelter in the West Kootenay, serving an area from Kaslo to Creston, Nelson to Trail. Housing up to 17 people in five bunk-style bedrooms, with a stay of up to 30 days. It is a low barrier, drug-and-alcohol free, safe environment.
Reporting to the Front-Line Supervisor, this position works to ensure that the shelter meal plan is followed and the pantry, freezer and other food storage are adequately stocked, maintained and organized to allow for maximum staff and resident comfort and safety. The menu coordinator is responsible for shopping approximately twice each week. This is a benefitted permanent full-time position and requires union membership.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the Front-Line Supervisor, monitors daily menu and food operations of the shelter.
- Ensures the cleanliness, safety of the kitchen and food storage areas according to health and safety standards.
- Develops a breakfast, lunch and dinner menu plan in accordance with accepted nutritional guidelines such as Canada’s Food Guide for Healthy Eating and the individual dietary needs of the residents.
- Ensures that the food and menu policy and procedures information are organized and accessible, an adequate supply of appropriate forms, menu notes and recipes are maintained according to policy.
- Prepares meals, including those for special dietary needs and special occasions, in accordance with safety and health standards and the menu plan.
- Oversees the operation, cleanliness and maintenance of the eating, cooking facilities and equipment.
- Reviews the meal preparation needs of the organization. Purchases equipment to meet those needs within the approved budget limits. Maintains an inventory of all related equipment.
- Maintains the food and supplies inventory and ordering. Responsible for shopping and delivery of food to the shelter ensuring an adequate supply of food at all times. Ensures that purchases are within approved budget limits.
- Ensures staff office is well-organized and functional in the kitchen and food storage.
- Maintains good communication with staff.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle, carry appropriate insurance as per policy, and use the vehicle for the purpose of grocery shopping.
- Performs other related duties as required.
For more on this job posting and on how to apply, click here.