Stepping Stones is the only emergency shelter in the West Kootenay, serving an area from Kaslo to Creston, Nelson to Trail. Housing up to 17 people in five bunk-style bedrooms with a stay of up to 30 days, it is a low barrier, drug and alcohol-free, safe environment.
Reporting to the Front-Line Supervisor, the Emergency Shelter Worker completes resident intake, monitors and attends to the well being and safety of residents during their shift. Maintains a comfortable, clean and safe environment. This position requires union membership. This is a benefitted position upon successful completion of the probation period and contingent on funding from BC Housing.
- Completes resident intakes and monitors residents through the shift and attends to any medical and behavioral needs that arise during the shift.
- Notifies supervisor of any major problems or emergencies. Responds to emergencies in accordance with established policy and procedures.
- Ensures the residents follow shelter rules.
- Ensures that logbooks, resident records and other documentation such incident reports and HIFIS data entry are complete as per established policies and procedures.
- Track and handle medications for residents in accordance with established policy.
- Prepares, cooks and serves meals and snacks, including those for special dietary needs and special occasions, in accordance with food safe standards and following the established menu plan.
- Performs housekeeping duties such as general cleaning, sweeping, vacuuming, washing floors, dusting, emptying garbage, cleaning and laundry. Performs minor building maintenance such as changing light bulbs. Reports maintenance needs to the supervisor.
- Be courteous to Mental Health Substance Use staff, Case Managers, Community Health, Transition Support and Street Outreach staff as well as other relevant community workers and professionals when they are on site to work with a resident such as police and ambulance services.
- Works in a respectful manner with co-workers and other Nelson CARES staff.
- Ensures the office is kept organized and clean.
- Maintains health and safety standards.
- Secures the building, ensure alarms are set and doors and windows are locked.
- Performs other related duties as required.
For more on this posting and on how to apply, click here.