Stepping Stones is the only emergency shelter in the West Kootenay’s, serving an area from Kaslo to Creston, Nelson to Trail. Housing up to 17 people in five bunk-style bedrooms, with a stay of up to 30 days. It is a low barrier, drug-and-alcohol free, safe environment.
Reporting to the Front Line Supervisor, the Emergency Support Worker is responsible for providing intake, support services, meals and ensuring the health and safety of all who access the emergency program. This is a non-unionized work setting.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Preference for post-secondary education in human service or related field, or the equivalent experience and education (with a minimum of a grade 12 diploma).
- Valid Emergency First Aid/C.P.R.
- Current TB skin test
- Food Safe Certificate
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Ability to use interventional processes that are sensitive to age, income, gender, racial, and ethnic and cultural issues.
- Must be able to demonstrate clear boundaries with clients and have the ability to relate in a respectful manner with clientele.
- Demonstrated ability to establish/maintain satisfactory work relationships with the public, co-workers and staff from other organizations.
- Demonstrated experience/willingness to learn how to work with multi-diagnosed individuals (addictions, mental health issues, etc.).
- Strong problem-solving skills. Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to work independently with minimal direction, to take initiative, organize, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability and competency in computer literacy.
- Must be self-motivated and able to carry out the physical work expected of the program (i.e.: meal making, cleaning, laundry)
- Ability to carry out the physical and mental demands of the position.
For more on this position and on how to apply, click here.